Here’s a quick set of instructions for disabling the version checking in BootCamp.msi. This is what I did in order to make the patched BootCamp.msi referenced in this post.
The reason you may need to make these changes yourself is that chances are that the BootCamp.msi supplied with newer Macs is different to the one that I have available and previously patched.
You will need:
- A machine running Windows.
- A copy of InstEd, which you can download here.
- The entire set of files on the Boot Camp installation disk (your MacOS Leopard disk) copied to a local directory on your machine. For this example, I assume that the disk has been copied into c:\bootcamp.
- Start InstEd and open c:\bootcamp\drivers\Apple\BootCamp.msi.
- The Tables tab should be highlighted.
- Scroll down the list of tables until you reach InstallExecuteSequence.
- Take a look at the code in the right hand window. You will see references to VersionNT=600. This refers to Windows Vista. You want to change each occurrence of VersionNT=600 to VersionNT>=600. In essence, you’re saying “as long as the version number is above 600, behave like Vista.” In my BootCamp.msi, there are 10 occurrences in this table that need to be changed.
- Now you need to move onto the LaunchCondition table. Make the same changes here.
- Save the file over BootCamp.msi.